Petitioning from outside the U.S.

Since immigrant visa petitions are to be filed in the United States, filing a petition from outside the United States is limited. If your petitioner is not living in the U.S now, please read about filing petitions outside of the United States. We expect the petitioner to have established domicile in the U.S. at the time of your interview. If not, you need an affidavit of support from someone who does. 

Since the Netherlands does not have a USCIS field office, petitioners must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, by mail to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox at one of the addresses below.

Regular mail:
P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Express mail or courier delivery:
Attn: I-130
131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

For additional information about how to file a Form I-130 with the USCIS Chicago Lockbox, please visit the USCIS website or call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283.

Exceptional Filing at U.S. Embassies or Consulates without a USCIS Field Office:

Beginning August 15, 2011, petitioners, who do not reside in a country with a USCIS field office, but who believe that their situation merits an exception, may request an exception to allow the Consular Section at the Embassy or Consulate to accept the filing.  Each request for an exception will be evaluated individually.

A petitioner seeking to file a Form I-130 at an Embassy or Consulate where USCIS does not have a presence should contact the Consular section to request consideration of the request for exception and explain the circumstances in detail.  The Consular Section will then relay the
request for an exception to the USCIS field office with jurisdiction over the Embassy or Consulate.  The determination of whether the case presents exceptional circumstances that warrant an exception to the general filing process will be made by USCIS.  For guidance on what an exceptional or emergency circumstance can be, please check the USCIS website.