Lost, Stolen or Expired Green Card

Lost, Stolen or Expired Permanent Resident Card (updated October 1, 2016)

If you are a permanent resident of the United States and temporarily in the Netherlands, but seeking to return to the United States and do not have your permanent resident card, you may need a boarding foil to return to the United States (*see exceptions below).  Please follow these steps: 

1) Get the Form I-131A.

Go to https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a to retrieve the form and filing instructions, and then complete the form.

2) Pay the fee for the I-131A online in ELIS –

Be sure to read the instructions before you apply as the fee is non-refundable.

The fee of $575.00 must be paid online (there is no other method of payment) prior to your appointment at the U.S. Consulate in Amsterdam: https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/log-online-filing

3) Schedule your boarding foil appointment by following all of the instructions in our Visa Navigator.

 4) Prepare the required documents

Bring the following documents to your appointment:

  1. valid passport and a photocopy of the biometric page of your passport;
  2. completed Form I-131A;
  3. payment receipt for fee in ELIS;
  4. one passport-style photograph (2″x2″);
  5. A copy of your flight ticket/electronic itinerary for our records showing your last departure from the United States and return travel to United States; and
  6. proof of your permanent resident status (if available); police report of stolen or lost permanent resident card(if applicable)

5) Come to the appointment at the U.S. Consulate in Amsterdam – The boarding foil application may take up to 48 hours to process and the applicant will generally have to return the following workday to pick up the boarding foil.

*Expired Permanent Resident Cards – If you have an expired permanent resident card with a 10-year validity period, you do not need a boarding foil.  The airline may board you with the expired card, providing you meet all their other conditions for travel.

**U.S. Military Family Members with expired Permanent Resident Cards – You do not require a boarding foil if you are in possession of an expired permanent resident card with a 10-year validity period, and you are now returning after having resided outside the United States on official overseas U.S. military orders. You may travel with your expired card and military orders.