FAQ: Living and Working in the U.S.

Frequently Asked Questions about living and working in the U.S.

  • The U.S. Department of Labor publishes the Occupational Outlook Handbook, an overview of most professions, with descriptions, future perspectives and current salaries.
  • In the Netherlands, one can contact one’s professional association. Some organizations have lists of potential employers in the U.S.

The Informatiecentrum Diplomawaardering, or International Credetial Evaluation, IDW is the organization that provides information on comparing diplomas.

The Department of Labor provides information on minimum wages in the U.S.  Additional information on wages can be found in the Occupational Outlook Handbook.

This differs from city to city and from region to region. Information can be obtained from the Local U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Information on moving abroad and secialized moving firms can be found on the website of “Erkende Verhuizers.”

Nearly every state has a Dutch club, where one can meet Dutch people

Taxes are raised on a local, state and federal level. Information can be found on the website of the Internal Revenue Service.

In the United States, social services – such as health care or child protection – are generally handled by the individual states according to their local laws.

For information on Federal social services, please go to:

  • Social Security Administration – a federal insurance program that provides benefit to retired people and those who are unemployed or disabled.
  • Medicare – national social insurance program.
  • Medicaid– national social health care program for families and individuals with limited resources.
  • HHS.Gov – a U.S. Federal government agency with the goal of protecting the health of all U.S. citizens