Abandoning your Green Card

If you no longer reside in the U.S., or if you are otherwise subject to loss of permanent resident status, you must abandon your claim to that status by filing form I-407. This form states that you voluntarily abandon your LPR status (Legal Permanent Residence).

There is no fee for abandoning you LPR status.


Future Immigration:
Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought before abandoning lawful permanent resident status.

Abandoning instructions

  1. Download and fill in form I-407 from the USCIS website.
    1. Make sure you fill in your A number
    2. Sign the form
  2. Send the following documents to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center (address below):
    1. The I-407 form
    2. The Green Card (also known as form I-551, if available).  If not available, the appropriate box in Part 1, item 11.b should be checked
    3. All other issued USCIS booklets and cards, if applicable
    4. Make sure to provide a return address.

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
Williston, VT 05495
United States

Note: if you’re abandoning the Green Card of a minor, each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form.