Be an Absentee Voter, Not an Absentee Citizen – VOTE!

Under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), the right to vote can be exercised by United States citizens in every corner of the world. Generally all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who are residing outside the United States during an election period are eligible to vote absentee in any election for Federal office (this includes Presidential elections and the elections of Senators and Representatives).

Voting eligibility and residency requirements are determined by the various U.S. states. Your legal state of residence for voting purposes is the state where you last resided immediately prior to departure from the United States. If you have never resided in the United States, you may request to register and vote in the last state that your parents or grandparents resided in before your birth. However, always check with your state’s local board of elections since the state determines your eligibility to vote.

Voter Registration and Requesting an Absentee Ballot

We encourage U.S. citizens to visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) website, the official U.S. government website for overseas voters. This website features an automated Voter Registration and Ballot Delivery tool that will assist with the vote-by-mail process.


The Federal Voting Assistance Program has a wealth of information about absentee voting including state-specific instructions for completing the voter registration card, links to state and local officials and a down-loadable emergency ballot.

FVAP. gov contact information

There is also an international toll-free number to call from The Netherlands 0800-022-8213.

The Voting Assistance Officer at the U.S. Consulate in Amsterdam is also available to answer questions about absentee voting. To contact the Voting Assistance Officer, please send an e-mail to