Replacing an 1-year limited validity passport issued to an adopted child
If your adopted child was issued a passport limited to one year in order to travel before the adoption was final, this passport can be replaced with a full validity 5 year passport by mail and free of charge provided the adoption was finalized and the application is made within the passport’s validity.
If the one-year passport has expired before you can make a new application, the DS-11 application form must be completed and submitted in person. Please see our section on Passports for Minors for further details. You will have to pay the full fee for the new passport.
You may use the following guidance to prepare for your application:
1. Fill out and print FORM DS-5504
Complete FORM DS-5504 online, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead. At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary. You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Both parents must sign the form. Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process. Both parents must sign the form, unless there is only one parent.
2. Social Security Number Requirement
You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it. Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.
3. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Provide your child’s limited validity U.S. passport, with a photo copy of the biographical information page.
4. One 2"x2" U.S. Format color passport photo
5. Supporting Documents
- A legible copy of the final adoption decree, listing you as the adoptive parents
- If available you may also present a copy of the Hague Adoption Certificate
- If available you may also present a copy of the amended birth certificate, listing you as the parent(s)
We retain the right to ask to see the original(s) of these documents.
6. Photo copies
Provide a plain photo copy of:
- your child’s passport’s biographical information page,
- both your passports,
- and any supporting documents as applicable to your application.
Copies of the forms are not required.
7. Passport Application Fee
There is no fee for this service.
8. Mail in your application
9. Should you wish to apply in person
Set up an appointment via the link below. IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone. You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.
ARRIVE ON TIME
Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.
Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.
10. New passport will be delivered by mail
Provide a prepaid return envelope
- Size: 23 x 16 centimeters or 9×6 inches – no bigger envelopes, no padded envelopes, no big DHL envelopes, please.
- On this envelope attach your DHL label*, or
- write the passport applicant’s name and address, and stick 5 x regular ‘1’ PostNL stamps in the top right corner.
*We recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express, or DHL parcel label. These you must order online at: https://my.dhlexpress.nl/pwa/shipment/package/.
When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”.
When asked about the sender, enter your own name and the following mailing address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment. The cost of the trackable service begins at €3.95. Print your DHL label and glue or tape it on your return envelope.
When using regular stamps note this way the shipment is not trackable. Mailing is at your own risk.
Full validity passports are printed in the United States. From receipt of your application by the Consulate General in Amsterdam, you should allow for up to 15 working days for your application to be processed.