Renew an Limited Validity Passport

Replacing an 1-year limited validity passport issued to an adopted child

If your adopted child was issued a passport limited to one year in order to travel before the adoption was final, this passport can be replaced with a full validity 5 year passport by mail and free of charge provided the adoption was finalized and the application is made within the passport’s validity.

If the one-year passport has expired before you can make a new application, the DS-11 application form must be completed and submitted in person.  Please see our section on Passports for Minors for further details.  You will have to pay the full fee for the new passport.

You may use the following guidance to prepare for your application:

Complete FORM DS-5504 online, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary.  You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.  Both parents must sign the form.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.  Both parents must sign the form, unless there is only one parent.

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it.  Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.

Provide your child’s limited validity U.S. passport, with a photo copy of the biographical information page.

  • A legible copy of the final adoption decree, listing you as the adoptive parents
  • If available you may also present a copy of the Hague Adoption Certificate
  • If available you may also present a copy of the amended birth certificate, listing you as the parent(s)

We retain the right to ask to see the original(s) of these documents.

Provide a plain photo copy of:

  • your child’s passport’s biographical information page,
  • both your passports,
  • and any supporting documents as applicable to your application.

Copies of the forms are not required.

There is no fee for this service.

Mail your passport and application to:
U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – Mail-in
John Adams Park 1
2244 BZ  Wassenaar

Enclose an A5 (C5) size return envelope (approx. 23 x 16 centimeters), legibly addressed to the passport applicant, with a PostNL registered mail bar-coded sticker.  Retain the tracking number.  Your canceled old passport and all original documents provided, will be returned to you with your new passport.

Processing time

Full validity passports are printed in the United States.  From receipt of your application by the Consulate General in Amsterdam, you should allow for up to 15 working days for your application to be processed.