Renew An Emergency Passport

Replacing an emergency limited validity passport with a full-validity passport

If you were issued an emergency limited validity passport by an Embassy or Consulate due to an urgent need to travel, you must replace it with a full-validity passport immediately upon completion of your urgent travel.

All applicants, including children, may apply by mail as long as the emergency/limited validity passport has not been issued more than one year ago.

If you received your limited validity emergency passport more than one year ago, you will need to complete and submit the DS-82 application form – please see our section on Adult Passports.  For minors, the DS-11 application form must be completed and submitted in person.  See our section on Passports for Minors for further details.  In both cases you will have to pay the full fee for the new passport.

Complete FORM DS-5504 online, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary.  You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.  You may sign the form at home.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

If your passport has the following endorsement in the back:

  • This passport expires on (date) and is a replacement for a lost/stolen/damaged passport. A full validity replacement must be approved by the Department of State.

you do NOT qualify for a free replacement passport and you must follow the guidance for replacing a lost or stolen passport, minus the DS-64 and police report requirement.  It will be helpful to bring recovered passports, if any.

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it.  Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.

Provide your limited validity U.S. passport, with a photo copy of the biographical information page.

One U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo, taken within the last six months. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos!  Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.  Make sure to watch the video.

Endorsement ‘Issued under 22 CFR 51.41’ (Code of Federal Regulations)

If the endorsement code on the last page of your emergency passport states that your passport was issued under ’22 CFR 51.41′, you must also submit proof of citizenship in the form of one of the following:

  • a U.S. birth certificate;
  • a Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • a U.S. naturalization certificate;
  • a U.S. certificate of citizenship;
  • an expired U.S. passport.

Endorsement ‘Issued under 22 CFR 51.23’

If the endorsement code on the last page of your emergency passport states that your passport was issued under ’22 CFR 51.23′, you must also submit proof of identity in the form of one of the following:

  • a valid passport of any country;
  •  valid driver’s license with photograph;
  • a national identity card with photograph;
  • a valid U.S. or state issued ID card;
  • a U.S. military identity card.

Aside from the original(s) provide a plain photocopy of your passport’s biographical information page and any supporting documents as applicable to your application.  Photocopies of the application form are not required.

When using Form DS-5504 to replace an emergency passport of a child under 16 years of age:

  • Both parents must sign on the parent’s signature line.
  • Copies of both parents’ passports must be included.



Mail your passport and application to:
U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – Mail-in
John Adams Park 1
2244 BZ  Wassenaar
The Netherlands

Provide a prepaid return envelope

  • Size: 23 x 16 centimeters or 9×6 inches – no bigger envelopes, no padded envelopes, no big DHL envelopes, please.
  • On this envelope attach your DHL label*, or
  • write the passport applicant’s name and address, and stick 5 x regular ‘1’ PostNL stamps in the top right corner.

*We recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express, or DHL parcel label.  These you must order online at:
When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”.
When asked about the sender, enter your own name and the following mailing address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment.  The cost of the trackable service begins at €3.95.  Print your DHL label and glue or tape it on your return envelope.

When using regular stamps note this way the shipment is not trackable. Mailing is at your own risk.

Processing time

Full validity passports are printed in the United States.  From receipt of your application by the Consulate General in Amsterdam, you should allow for up to 15 working days for your application to be processed.