Name Change through marriage or divorce

Changing your name in your passport

If you have changed your name by marriage or divorce, you may apply for a new passport to be issued in your new name, using form DS-82 or DS-5504.  If you have changed your name any other way, you must apply using form DS-11, Click here for instructions.

  • If your current passport was issued less than one year ago and you consequently got married/divorced, you may apply for a passport in your new name by using  Form DS-5504. There will be no charge for routine processing such an application. Please follow the instructions below on how to proceed.
  • If your current passport was issued more than one year ago and you consequently got married/divorced you may apply for a passport in your new name using form DS-82.  Go to our section on adult passports for application instructions.  You will be required to the pay regular passport fee.

Complete FORM DS-5504 online, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary.  You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.  You may sign the form at home.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it.  Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.

Provide your most recently issued full validity (10-year) U.S. passport, with a photo copy of the biographical information page.

Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos!  Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.  Make sure to watch the video.

You will need to submit your original marriage or divorce certificate.  Documents presented must be in English or be accompanied by a sworn translation into English. If married and divorced in the Netherlands, please submit the original international version made out in several languages, including English, of the marriage certificate (uitreksel uit de huwelijksakte, dienst van de burgerlijke stand). If your divorce decree does not state your maiden name, and you wish to have that name in your passport again, please also your birth certificate.

Aside from the original(s) provide a plain photo copy of your passport’s biographical information page and any supporting documents as applicable to your application.  Copies of the forms are not required.

Mail your passport and application to:
U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – Mail-in
John Adams Park 1
2244 BZ  Wassenaar

For this you must enclose an A5 (C5) size return envelope (approx. 23 x 16 centimeters), legibly addressed to the passport applicant, with a PostNL registered mail bar-coded sticker.  Retain the tracking number.  Your canceled old passport and all original documents provided, will be returned to you with your new passport.

Processing time

Passports are printed in the United States with a secure photo-digitized image of the bearer.  From receipt of your application by the Consulate General in Amsterdam, you should allow for up to 15 working days for your application to be processed.