Changing your name in your passport
If you have changed your name by marriage or divorce, you may apply for a new passport to be issued in your new name, using form DS-82 or DS-5504. If you have changed your name any other way, you must apply using form DS-11, Click here for instructions.
- If your current passport was issued less than one year ago and you consequently got married/divorced, you may apply for a passport in your new name by using Form DS-5504. There will be no charge for routine processing such an application. Please follow the instructions below on how to proceed.
- If your current passport was issued more than one year ago and you consequently got married/divorced you may apply for a passport in your new name using form DS-82. Go to our section on adult passports for application instructions. You will be required to the pay regular passport fee.
1. Fill out FORM DS-5504
Complete FORM DS-5504 online, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead. At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary. You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. You may sign the form at home. Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.
2. Social Security Number Requirement
You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it. Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.
3. Proof of U.S. citizenship
Provide your most recently issued full validity (10-year) U.S. passport, with a photo copy of the biographical information page.
4. One U.S. format color passport photo
Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos! Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo. Make sure to watch the video.
5. Evidence of name change through marriage or divorce
You will need to submit your original marriage or divorce certificate. Documents presented must be in English or be accompanied by a sworn translation into English. If married and divorced in the Netherlands, please submit the original international version made out in several languages, including English, of the marriage certificate (uitreksel uit de huwelijksakte, dienst van de burgerlijke stand). If your divorce decree does not state your maiden name, and you wish to have that name in your passport again, please also your birth certificate.
6. Provide photocopies
Aside from the original(s) provide a plain photocopy of your passport’s biographical information page and any supporting documents as applicable to your application. Copies of the forms are not required.
7. Mail in your application
8. Should you wish to apply in person
Set up an appointment via the link below. IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone. You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.
ARRIVE ON TIME
Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.
Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.
9. New passport will be delivered by mail
Provide a prepaid return envelope
- Size: 23 x 16 centimeters or 9×6 inches – no bigger envelopes, no padded envelopes, no big DHL envelopes, please.
- On this envelope attach your DHL label*, or
- write the passport applicant’s name and address, and stick 5 x regular ‘1’ PostNL stamps in the top right corner.
We cannot send passports to addresses outside of the Netherlands.
*We recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express, or DHL parcel label. These you must order online at: https://my.dhlexpress.nl/pwa/shipment/package/.
When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”.
When asked about the sender, enter your own name and the following mailing address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment. The cost of the trackable service begins at €3.95. Print your DHL label and glue or tape it on your return envelope.
When using regular stamps note this way the shipment is not trackable. Mailing is at your own risk.
All valid passports will be canceled during your appointment as you cannot have two valid passports. Plan your appointment accordingly as you may be without a valid passport for up to three weeks.
If you are also applying for a passport card, bring two prepaid return envelopes as cards arrive two to three weeks after passport books.
Your canceled old passport and all original documents provided, will be returned to you with your new passport.
Passports are printed in the United States with a secure photo-digitized image of the bearer. From receipt of your application by the Consulate General in Amsterdam, you should allow for up to 4 to 6 weeks for your application to be processed.