Since July 19, 2021 adult passport book renewal applicants in the Netherlands may complete their payment online and submit their passport renewal via mail. Passport cards can as yet not be applied for by mail (see our FAQs). DO NOT MAIL YOUR PASSPORT APPLICATION TO THE UNITED STATES!
Most adults qualify to renew their valid (or recently expired) 10-year passport via mail. Please check your eligibility for the mail-in procedure here.
Do NOT use our mail-in procedure if you are not eligible. Do NOT use our mail-in procedure and online payment if you are planning to apply in person. Your application will not be processed.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions section if you have any questions about this process.
1. Processing time
- Processing time using our mail-in procedure is between 6 to 8 weeks, provided your application is duly paid for and correctly completed.
2. Fill out and print out FORM DS-82
- Complete FORM DS-82 online, and print out pages 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 single-sided, on two sheets of paper. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed.
- You must use this website as your instructions, not the ones that come with the DS-82 form. Do not enclose them in your shipment.
- At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary.
- At the “Who should we contact in case of an emergency” field, you cannot currently list a “Country”. You may fill this part out by hand or list an emergency contact in the United States.
- You must fill out, sign, and date the form at home in blue or black ink.
- Do NOT forget to sign your application! Digital signatures or otherwise electronically signed forms are not acceptable.
3. Social security number requirement
- You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it. Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN).
- Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.
4. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Include your most recently issued full validity (10-year) U.S. passport, with:
- a clear legible photocopy of the biographical information and signature pages.
- If your most recently issued passport expired more than five years ago, click here.
Note we will cancel and return your old passport to you. Applications without the original passport cannot be processed.
5. One 2”X2” U.S. format color passport photo
- Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos!
- Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo. Make sure to watch the video.
- Attach the photo to your DS-82 form with staples, or glue if you do not have a stapler! We do NOT need a second photo.
- Applications without or with incorrect passport photos cannot be processed.
6. Submit your payment online
- You must include a printed confirmation of your proof of payment in your mail-in application. Without proof of payment your application will be returned. Only the confirmation email your receive from Pay.gov, with payment ID and tracking number is proof of payment. Print and include this in your shipment.
- Please follow this link to submit your payment. In the name fields, please use your current legal name, even if it is different from the name that appears on your prior passport. If you are submitting a payment on behalf of another passport renewal applicant, please enter their name. All fields are required.
- Note: you can only use this form to pay for one passport application at a time. Fee payments for multiple applications must be submitted separately.
- No expedited service is available outside of the U.S. Please do not submit the additional expedited fee for this service.
- These instructions cannot be used to submit passport card applications. Do not enclose your passport card.
7. New and canceled old passports will be mailed to you
PREPAID, SELF-ADDRESSED RETURN ENVELOPE
- To receive your new and canceled old passports in due time you must enclose with your application a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope. The size should be approximately 23X16 Cm., or 9″X6″.
NO larger envelopes, NO padded envelopes, NO DHL envelopes, NO boxes, please!
We can only send passports to an address in the Netherlands.
Affix postage – DHL label or stamps
- We recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express, or DHL parcel label. These you must order online at: https://my.dhlexpress.nl/pwa/shipment/package/. When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”. When asked about the sender, enter your own name and the following mailing address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment. Print your DHL label and glue or tape it on your return envelope. DHL labels that are only a barcode do NOT work.
- Alternatively, you may use 5x regular “1” stamps from PostNL. Please note that by choosing this method you will not be able to track the shipment, nor are you able to retrieve the shipment should it get lost. The Consulate assumes no responsibility for lost mail.
- Click here for a sample of a correctly prepared return envelope. Note you either use stamps, or a DHL label, not both.
- printed and filled out form DS-82, pages 1 and 2 on two separate pages?
- signed your form by hand on the “Applicant’s Legal Signature” line?
- if you do not have a U.S. Social Security Number, prepared the declaration as per item #3?
- if changing your name through marriage or divorce, enclosed your original marriage or divorce documents, with a full photocopy?
(note a divorce certificate must list your new name and all documents must be in the English language, if need be through a translation)
- attached your 2×2″ (5×5 Cm.) passport photo?
(staple or glue)
- made a copy of your passport’s information and signature pages on an A4 sheet?
- enclosed your original 10-year passport?
- printed the payment confirmation email from Pay.gov with payment ID and tracking #?
- prepared the self-addressed, prepaid return envelope?
(make sure to list “MIPS” in our address)
Great, you are ready to mail in your application!
9. Submit your application package
DO NOT MAIL YOUR PASSPORT TO THE UNITED STATES!
Please mail in all of the above documentation to:
U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – MIPS
John Adams Park 1
2244 BZ WASSENAAR
Kindly note that we cannot provide status updates. We recommend using your DHL tracking code to see if your new and old passports are on their way back to you.
If you need to apply in person, e.g., you want to apply for a passport book and a passport card, or you cannot be without your valid passport due to frequent travel needs, you may set up an appointment to apply in person. Follow the above instructions but do not pay online.