Lost or Stolen Passports

If you are in transit in the Netherlands, and your passport was lost or stolen, you may visit the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam for a replacement passport.

We are open for this service Monday through Friday, excluding U.S. and Dutch Holidays.

You must present yourself at the Consulate at 8:30 AM to get the proper passport application forms and an appointment.  Prepare your forms as best you can prior to your appointment time.

If you can, use the guidance below to prepare in advance.

Complete FORM DS-11 online, and print it out single-sided, on two sheets of paper. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address (hotel, B&B, etc.), even if it is only temporary.  You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.  Do NOT sign the form.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

Complete FORM-64, Statement Regarding A Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book And/Or Card, online, print it and sign it.

If you cannot print out the forms, please do study them online in advance.

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it.  Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.

Note that if you have a Social Security Number but cannot provide it, you may qualify for an emergency passport valid for only a couple of days and only for direct return to the United States.  Proof of travel, e.g. itinerary or e-ticket is required for this service.

If at all possible try to bring at least a print-out or photo copy of your primary proof of citizenship e.g.:

  • your now lost/stolen passport, or
  • a previously issued passport, or
  •  your U.S. birth certificate, or
  • your consular report of birth abroad, or
  • your naturalization certificate, or
  • your citizenship certificate.

Of course if you have a passport card you may present that too.

If available bring a valid proof of identity.  This can be any valid government issued identity document, e.g. a passport card, a foreign passport or driver’s license, I.D. card, Military I.D. or U.S. driver’s license.

Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo, taken within the last six months. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos!  Do not waste your money on Dutch passport photo booths as they will give you unusable photos.  Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.  Make sure to watch the video.

If possible bring a plain photocopy or print out of:

  • your identity document, and
  • your U.S. passport, if available, and
  • your travel itinerary, and
  • any other supporting documents as applicable to your application.

Copies of the forms are not required.

When replacing a lost or stolen passport for a child under age 16, you must also present the following;

  • Proof of parentage – as you will be signing on behalf of your child we must see a copy/scan of your child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad listing your relationship.
  • Both parents must consent to the issuance of a minor passport, even an emergency passport, so if only one parent is available to sign, we must have consent from the non-appearing parent by way of a notarized consent, e.g. with Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent to Issuing a Passport to a Child.

For more guidance on applying for a passport for a minor child, see our page on Passports for Minors.

For applicant’s age 16 and 17 only one parent needs to co-sign the application but we must still see proof of parentage, see our page on Passports for young adults.

Consular fees can be paid with any credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, or Diner’s Club).  U.S. debit cards are also accepted if they carry the VISA symbol.  Please note that the credit or U.S. debit card must be in the name of the applicant, or the accompanying parent/legal guardian if the applicant is under the age of 18.

While a credit card payment is preferred consular fees can also be paid cash in Euros. We do NOT accept U.S. dollars, checks, or PIN cards.  Please bring exact change to the appointment.  For a current list of fees please see (https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/fees/).

Please keep your wallet on you when entering our waiting room.

Yes. You will receive a time slot for your application when you present yourself at the Consulate at 8:30 AM. Make sure you can present your itinerary for travel within the next few days.

Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.  If you miss your slot you will have to come back another day at 8:30 AM.

Do I have to file a police report?

You should.  And please bring it to your application for a replacement passport.  A U.S. passport is a valuable document, not just for the rightful bearer; therefore you must report the loss or theft of a U.S. passport to the local police authorities to avoid Identity theft!  How can someone steal your identity?  Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your name, your passport information, social security number, credit card number or other identifying information, without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes.

Upon application you will receive instructions on when you can collect your emergency passport.  Approved emergency passports can usually be collected the same day.

Note that emergency passport are essentially for finishing your trip and returning to the United States.  Not all countries will admit U.S. citizens on an emergency passport: check here for more information.  Once home you must get your emergency passport replaced with a regular full validity passport as soon as possible.