If you reside in the Netherlands, and your passport was lost or stolen, use the following guidance to prepare for the application for a replacement passport:
1. Fill out and print FORM DS-11 and FORM DS-64
Complete FORM DS-11 online, and print it out single-sided, on two sheets of paper. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead. You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Do NOT sign the form. Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.
Complete FORM-64, Statement Regarding A Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book And/Or Card, online, print it and sign it.
2. Social Security Number requirement
You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it. Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.
If you do have a Social Security Number but cannot provide it, you may only qualify for an limited validity passport, valid only for direct return to the United States. Proof of travel, e.g. itinerary or e-ticket is required for this service.
3. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
If at all possible try to bring at least a print-out or photo copy of your primary citizenship evidence, e.g.:
- your now lost/stolen passport, or
- a previously issued passport, or
- your U.S. birth certificate, or
- your consular report of birth abroad, or
- your naturalization certificate, or
- your citizenship certificate.
Of course if you have a passport card you may present that too.
4. Proof of Identity
If available bring valid proof of identity. This can be any valid government issued identity document, e.g. a passport card, a foreign passport or driver’s license, I.D. card, Military I.D. or U.S. driver’s license.
5. One 2"x2" U.S. format color passport photo
Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo, taken within the last six months. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos! Dutch passport photo booths will not get you usable photos. Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo. Make sure to watch the video.
Id possible bring a plain photocopy or print out of:
- your identity document, and
- your U.S. passport, if available, and
- any other supporting documents as applicable to your application.
Copies of the forms are not required.
7. Replacing a lost or stolen passport for a minor child
When replacing a lost or stolen passport for a child under age 16, you must also present the following;
- Proof of parentage – as you will be signing on behalf of your child we must see a copy/scan of your child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad listing your relationship.
- Both parents must consent to the issuance of a minor passport, even an emergency passport. So if only one parent is available to sign, we must have consent from the non-appearing parent by way of a notarized consent, e.g. with Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent to Issuing a Passport to a Child.
For more guidance on applying for a passport for a minor child, see our page on Passports for Minors.
For applicant’s age 16 and 17 only one parent needs to co-sign the application but we must still see proof of parentage, see our page on Passports for young adults.
8. Passport Application Fee
Consular fees can be paid with any credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, or Diner’s Club). U.S. debit cards are also accepted if they carry the VISA symbol. The credit or debit card presented must be in the name of the applicant, or the accompanying parent or legal guardian if the applicant is under the age of 18.
While a credit card payment is preferred consular fees can also be paid cash in Euros. We do NOT accept U.S. dollars, checks, or PIN cards. Please bring exact change to the appointment. For a current list of fees please see (https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/fees/).
Please keep your wallet on you when entering our waiting room so you can pay for your service.
9. Set up an appointment
If you are a resident of The Netherlands you must set up an appointment via the link below. IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone. You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.
ARRIVE ON TIME
Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.
Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.
10. Police Report
Do I have to file a police report?
Yes. And you must bring it to your application for a replacement passport. A U.S. passport is a valuable document, not just for the rightful bearer; therefore you must report the loss or theft of a U.S. passport to the local police authorities to avoid Identity theft! How can someone steal your identity? Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your name, your passport information, social security number, credit card number or other identifying information, without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes.
11. New passport will be delivered by mail
Provide a prepared, prepaid return envelope
- Size: approximately 23 x 16 centimeters or 9×6 inches – no bigger envelopes, no padded envelopes, no big DHL envelopes, please.
- On this envelope attach your DHL label*, or
- write the passport applicant’s name and address, and stick 5 x regular ‘1’ PostNL stamps in the top right corner.
We cannot send passports to addresses outside of the Netherlands.
*We recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express, or DHL parcel label. These you must order online at: https://my.dhlexpress.nl/pwa/shipment/package/.
When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”.
When asked about the sender, enter your own name and the following mailing address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment. Print your DHL label and glue or tape it on your return envelope. No barcode only labels as they do NOT work.
When using regular stamps note this way the shipment is not trackable. Mailing is at your own risk.
Passports are printed in the United States with a secure photo-digitized image of the bearer. From receipt of your application by the Consulate General in Amsterdam, you should allow for up to 4 to 6 weeks for your application to be processed.