Minors age 16 and over, and persons over age 18, holding a five-year validity passport, may use the following guidance to prepare for the passport application:
1. Fill out and print FORM DS-11
Complete FORM DS-11 online, and print it out single-sided, on two sheets of paper. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead. At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary. You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Do NOT sign the form. You will be asked to sign it under oath at the Consulate. If someone else has prepared the form for you, do read it through so you know everything is true and correct to the best of your knowledge! Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.
2. Social Security Number Requirement
You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if you do not have a Social Security Number or do not remember it. Do NOT list your Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.
3. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Bring your last issued U.S.passport. If you no longer have your last issued passport, prepare FORM DS-64, and bring:
– your original U.S. birth certificate, or
– your original Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or
– your original Naturalization Certificate, or
– your original Certificate of Citizenship
If you have never had a passport, please see our section on First Time Applicants. If your passport was issued more than 10 years ago, please submit a valid identity document, with a photo copy, e.g. foreign passport, state or government issued identity card.
4. One 2"x2" U.S. format color passport photo
Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos! Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo. Make sure to watch the video.
5. Parental Awareness if age 16 or 17
If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must demonstrate that at least one of your parents is aware that you are applying for a passport. The best way is for one parent to accompany you to the appointment. Bring:
- a copy of your birth certificate, report of birth abroad or other legal document listing parent(s) or legal guardian. Your parent/guardian will be asked to co-sign the DS-11 form and must bring a government issued photo identification document. Or:
- You may provide a signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport by at least one parent/legal guardian. This consent must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s photo identity document as presented to the notary. See Form DS-3053.
The above is not required of applicants age 18 or older.
6. Bring photocopies
Bring a plain photocopy of:
- Your passport’s biographical information and signature page(s), and
- any supporting documents as applicable to your application.
- If you are age 16 or 17, your birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and your accompanying parent’s photo identity document.
Copies of the forms are not required.
7. Passport Application Fee
Consular fees can be paid with any credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, or Diner’s Club). U.S. debit cards are also accepted if they carry the VISA symbol. Please note that the credit or debit card must be in the name of the applicant or the accompanying parent or legal guardian if the applicant is under the age of 18.
While a credit card payment is preferred consular fees can also be paid cash in Euros. We do NOT accept U.S. dollars, checks, or PIN cards. Please bring exact change to the appointment. For a current list of fees please see (https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/fees/).
Please keep your wallet with you when entering our waiting room.
Note that the fee for a First Adult passport is the regular adult passport renewal fee of $110, plus an execution fee of $35, making a total of $145, or the euro equivalent.
8. Set up an appointment
Set up an appointment via the link below. IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone. You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.
ARRIVE ON TIME
Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.
Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.
9. New passport will be delivered by mail
Provide a prepaid return envelope
- Size: 23 x 16 centimeters or 9×6 inches – no bigger envelopes, no padded envelopes, no big DHL envelopes, please.
- On this envelope attach your DHL label*, or
- write the passport applicant’s name and address, and stick 5 x regular ‘1’ PostNL stamps in the top right corner.
*We recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express, or DHL parcel label. These you must order online at: https://my.dhlexpress.nl/pwa/shipment/package/.
When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”.
When asked about the sender, enter your own name and the following mailing address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment. The cost of the trackable service begins at €3.95. Print your DHL label and glue or tape it on your return envelope.
When using regular stamps note this way the shipment is not trackable. Mailing is at your own risk.
All valid passports will be canceled during your appointment as you cannot have two valid passports. Plan your appointment accordingly as you may be without a valid passport for up to three weeks.
If you are also applying for a passport card, bring two prepaid return envelopes as cards arrive two to three weeks after passport books.
Passports applications are sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow up to 15 working days for processing.