Ineligibility to receive a U.S. Passport

Child Support

Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations states, in part, that if you are certified to Passport Services by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services [HSS] to be in arrears of child support payments in excess of $2,500 , you are ineligible to receive a U.S. passport.  If this applies to you, we recommend that you contact the appropriate State child support agency to make payment arrangements before applying for a passport.

Please note that it can take several weeks from the time you make payment arrangements with the State agency until you are eligible to receive a passport.  The American Consulate General has no information concerning an individual’s child support obligations and has no authority to take action until HHS removes your name from its list.

Please direct any questions to the appropriate State child support enforcement agency.
Child Support Enforcement Agency