To apply for a new passport for your child under age 16, you may use the following guidance to prepare:
1. Fill out and print FORM DS-11
Complete FORM DS-11 online, on behalf of your child, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead. At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary. You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Do NOT sign the form. Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.
2. Social Security Number requirement
You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if your child does not have a Social Security Number or you do not remember it. Do NOT list your child’s Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.
3. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Present your child’s most recently issued U.S. passport. If that passport has expired more than five years ago, you must also bring your child’s valid identity document, e.g. it’s foreign passport or identity card.
4. Proof of relation between person(s) signing and applicant
As you will be signing on behalf of your minor child, you must show that you are the parent(s) or legal guardian. Documents demonstrating a child’s relationship to parents or guardians, include:
– U.S. or foreign birth certificate with parents’ names
– Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), listing parents’ names
– Adoption Decree with adopting parents’ names
– Court order establishing custody or guardianship (original or certified copy).
Previous passports do NOT constitute proof of the relationship. The above applies even if it is a second or third passport for your child.
5. Proof of your identity
Your valid U.S. or foreign passport(s), or other government issued photo identity document(s).
6. One 2"x2" U.S. format color passport photo of your child
Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo of your child. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos! Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo. Make sure to watch the video.
Bring a plain printed photocopy of:
- Your child’s passport’s biographical information page, and
- Your passport(s) and/or identity document(s), and
- Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and
- any other document as applicable to the application.
- If applying for more than one child, make sure to bring the above for each individual application. Every application must have a full set of photocopies of its supporting documents.
Copies of the forms are not required.
8. Both parents must consent to the issuance of a passport to a minor child
In most cases, both parents will appear to sign the passport application form in the presence of a Consular Officer. In the event one parent cannot appear, a Notarized Statement of Consent (click to download FORM DS-3053) prepared by the non-appearing parent must be submitted with the passport application. A Dutch notary service is acceptable. Electronic notarization is acceptable in lieu of paper notarization, if the document is lawfully notarized under the law of the state or foreign country that commissioned the notary public, and it has fulfilled the requirements for the passport form, statement, or affidavit. Additionally, a growing number of U.S. states accept documents notarized through online services; you will need to research whether they can be used in the state where your document will be filed. Remote notarization could fulfill your need for notary services more quickly. Helpful links can be found elsewhere on this page.
One-parent signatures are acceptable when submitting the following primary evidence of sole authority:
- The Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent; or
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) listing only the applying parent; or
- Court order granting sole custody to applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by order); or
- Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adoptive parent); or
- Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
- Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
- Death certificate of non-applying parent. A third-party in loco parentis may not apply on behalf of a child under 16 except in exigent circumstances.
9. Passport Application Fee
You can pay the appropriate passport services application fee in euro, in U.S. dollars, or by credit card. Note that we can only process credit card payments if the card holder is available to sign the payment authorization slip. When paying in cash, please try to bring exact change. For the current fee, see our consular fees page.
10. Set up your appointment
Set up an appointment via the link below. IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone. You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.
ARRIVE ON TIME
Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.
Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.
11. New passport will be delivered by mail
Provide an A5 (C5) size envelope (approx. 23 x 16 centimeters), write the passport applicant’s name and address on it, or attach your DHL waybill.
All envelopes must have sufficient postage. As passports are sensitive documents that are difficult to replace we strongly recommend providing a registered mail sticker. We recommend using a trackable delivery service to receive your documents. we recommend using the trackable “waybill” from DHL express. This ‘waybill’ may be purchased online at https://my.dhlexpress.nl/pwa/shipment/package/ . When prompted, please select “Mailbox Parcel”, and enter your personal information as the recipient. We recommend you check the option “E-mail Notification”, so you immediately receive the tracking information to follow your shipment after it has been sent. When asked for information about the sender, enter your own name and the mailing address for the U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ Wassenaar. Please use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver so you receive all correspondence regarding your shipment. The cost of the trackable service begins at €3.95. Additional options, such as insurance, can be added for an additional fee but are not required. *Once you receive your electronic waybill, affix it to the front of the envelope that is required for your service.
Alternatively, you may provide 5 regular “1” stamps. Please note this way the shipment is not trackable. Mailing is at your own risk.
If you are also applying for a passport card, bring two registered mail return envelopes as cards arrive two to three weeks after passport books.
Passports are printed in the United States with a secure photo-digitized image of the bearer. Allow for up to 15 working days for your application to be processed.
Passports for a baby born in The Netherlands
When applying for a first passport for a baby born in The Netherlands, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first passport can be applied for simultaneously. Click here to prepare for such an application.
Arranging Notarized Consent if one parent cannot attend the passport application interview
Though in no way endorsed by the U.S. Consulate, the following websites may be useful to you in arranging notarized consent: