Applying for a Child´s Passport

Passports for minor children under age 16
To apply for a new passport for your child under age 16, you may use the following guidance to prepare:

Complete FORM DS-11 online, on behalf of your child, and print it out single-sided. Back to back printed forms cannot be processed. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Dutch address, even if it is only temporary.  You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.  Do NOT sign the form.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if your child does not have a Social Security Number or you do not remember it.  Do NOT list your child’s Dutch Burger Service Number (BSN). Click here to learn more about passports and the social security number requirement.

Present your child’s most recently issued U.S. passport.  If that passport has expired more than five years ago, you must also bring your child’s valid identity document, e.g. it’s foreign passport or identity card.

As you will be signing on behalf of your minor child, you must show that you are the parent(s) or legal guardian. Documents demonstrating a child’s relationship to parents or guardians, include:
– U.S. or foreign birth certificate with parents’ names
– Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), listing parents’ names
– Adoption Decree with adopting parents’ names
– Court order establishing custody or guardianship (original or certified copy).

Previous passports do NOT constitute proof of the relationship.  The above applies even if it is a second or third passport for your child.

Your valid U.S. or foreign passport(s), or other government issued photo identity document(s).

Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo of your child. We cannot process the smaller Dutch format photos!  Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.  Make sure to watch the video.

Bring a plain photo copy of:

  • Your child’s passport’s biographical information page, and
  • Your passport(s) and/or identity document(s), and
  • Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and
  • any other document as applicable to the application.
  • If applying for more than one child, make sure to bring the above for each individual application.

Copies of the forms are not required.

In most cases, both parents will appear to sign the passport application form in the presence of a Consular Officer.  In the event one parent cannot appear, a Notarized Statement of Consent (click to download FORM DS-3053) prepared by the non-appearing parent must be submitted with the passport application.  A Dutch notary service is acceptable. A remote or online notary service cannot be accepted for this purpose.
One-parent signatures are acceptable when submitting the following primary evidence of sole authority:

  • The Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent; or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) listing only the applying parent; or
  • Court order granting sole custody to applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by order); or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adoptive parent); or
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.  A third-party in loco parentis may not apply on behalf of a child under 16 except in exigent circumstances.

You can pay the appropriate passport services application fee in euro, in U.S. dollars, or by credit card.  Note that we can only process credit card payments if the card holder is available to sign the payment authorization slip.  When paying in cash, please try to bring exact change.  For the current fee, see our consular fees page.

Set up an appointment via the link to the appointment website elsewhere on this page.  IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone.  You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.

As directed by Regulation 22 CFR 51.21 and 51.27 each minor child applying for a passport must appear before a Consular Officer, so bring your child(ren)!

Try to arrive at the Consulate at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.  If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.

Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.

Per application, provide an A5 (C5) size return envelope (approx. 23 x 16 centimeters), legibly addressed to the passport applicant, with a PostNL registered mail bar-coded sticker.  Don’t use the stamp you can print online since it will expire after five days. Retain the tracking number(s).

If you are also applying for a passport card, bring two registered mail return envelopes as cards arrive two to three weeks after passport books.

Processing Time
Passports are printed in the United States with a secure photo-digitized image of the bearer. Allow for up to 15 working days for your application to be processed.

Passports for a baby born in The Netherlands
When applying for a first passport for a baby born in The Netherlands, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first passport can be applied for simultaneously.  Click here to prepare for such an application.