Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021. See this page for more information.
The U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam is presently offering limited passport and notary appointments. Please note that the Dutch government has issued a strict travel advisory regarding any cross-border travel at this time, and everyone arriving in the Netherlands is subject to a mandatory 10 day quarantine. If you have stayed or resided outside the Netherlands prior to your appointment, please prepare to show proof of your 10 day quarantine. The U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam thanks you for your understanding.
All visitors to the U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam will be required to wear a face covering. All visitors over the age of 2 will be required to bring a face covering to their appointment in order to receive visa or U.S. citizen services. The Consulate will not provide face coverings and you may be denied entry if you do not bring a covering with you. Please plan ahead. For more information on face coverings including how to make, wear, and wash your face covering visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
- FORMS: Print only the actual form pages 1 and 2, on two separate sheets, not double-sided. Do not print the attached instructions but use this website instead to prepare your application.
- PHOTOCOPIES: Bring the original documents required for your service and also bring printed plain legible photocopies of ALL these originals, including passports, to your appointment, one full set of copies per application!
- VALIDITY: Adult passports are valid for 10 years, children’s passports are valid for 5 years.
- WHEN TO APPLY: Apply 8 months before your passport expires or when you have less than 8 blank visa pages left.
- PAGES: All passports issued overseas have 52 pages, no pages can be added.
- PAYMENT: Consular fees can only be paid in cash euro or by credit card, see our fees page.
- PHOTO: Passport photos must be 2″x2″ (5×5 Cm.). No other size is acceptable.
- PASSPORT DELIVERY: New passports are delivered to you by mail. You cannot collect your new passport. You must provide a self-addressed envelope with postage attached. We cannot mail passports outside of The Netherlands.
- WHERE TO APPLY: All passport services are available by appointment only and only from the Consulate General in Amsterdam. Please arrive on time and fully prepared for your appointment! Note that if you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, you will be asked to reschedule.
- PROCESSING TIME: Current passport processing time is 2 to 4 weeks, starting from an approved application passport application.
Apply for an Adult passport and/or a Passport Card
- Apply for a new passport with a still valid or recently expired Adult Passport (issued after age 16)
- Apply for a new Adult Passport, while old passport has expired more than five years ago
- Apply for a new passport when applicant is now 16 or older
- Apply for a First Passport based on a claim to U.S. citizenship
- Apply for a Passport Card
- Replace a Damaged Passport
- Renew a Limited Validity regular passport