We are happy to inform you that we have started to resume routine consular services. Per Department of State guidance however we are currently only able to offer a limited amount of appointment slots for passport services. Please find your specific passport service guidance below.
For frequently asked questions, including information on travel restrictions please see https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions/. Unfortunately, the situation remains fluid and it is difficult for us to say when will be back to our regular level of services. Further updates will be posted here https://nl.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/amsterdam/
Effective June 8, all visitors to the U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam will be required to wear a face covering. All visitors over the age of 2 will be required to bring a face covering to their appointment in order to receive visa or U.S. citizen services. The Consulate will not provide face coverings and you may be denied entry if you do not bring a covering with you. Please plan ahead. For more information on face coverings including how to make, wear, and wash your face covering visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
- FORMS: Print only the actual form pages 1 and 2, on two separate sheets, not double-sided. Do not print the attached instructions but use this website instead to prepare your application.
- PHOTO COPIES: Bring the original documents required for your service and also bring printed plain legible photo copies of ALL these originals, including passports, to your appointment, one full set of copies per application!
- VALIDITY: Adult passports are valid for 10 years, children’s passports are valid for 5 years.
- WHEN TO APPLY: Apply 8 months before your passport expires or when you have less than 8 blank visa pages left.
- PAGES: All passports issued overseas have 52 pages, no pages can be added.
- PHOTO: Passport photos must be 2″x2″ (5×5 Cm.). No other size is acceptable.
- PASSPORT DELIVERY: New passports are delivered to you by Dutch domestic mail. You cannot collect your new passport. You must provide a self-addressed envelope with postage attached. We cannot mail passports outside of The Netherlands.
- WHERE TO APPLY: All passport services are available by appointment only and only from the Consulate General in Amsterdam.
- PROCESSING TIME: Current passport processing time is from 2 to 4 weeks.
You will find detailed guidance for the service you need further down this page. Make sure you are fully prepared for your visit to the Consulate, otherwise we will unfortunately have to ask you to reschedule.
Apply for an Adult passport, Passport Card
- Apply for a new passport with a still valid or recently expired Adult Passport (issued after age 16)
- Apply for a new Adult Passport, while old passport has expired more than five years ago
- Apply for a new passport when applicant is now 16 or older
- Apply for a First Passport based on a claim to U.S. citizenship
- Apply for a Passport Card
- Replace a Damaged Passport
- Renew a Limited Validity regular passport