Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. Consular Officers, in some situations, can assist destitute U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens who find themselves in destitute circumstances should contact the U.S. Citizen Services Section at the Consulate General in Amsterdam, or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours). Consular Officers can help U.S. citizens contact family, bank, or employers to arrange for a transfer of funds. For information on how a Consular Officer can help, see the State Department’s travel website.

Transferring Money to the Netherlands from the United States

Fund transfers from the U.S. are typically straightforward. Most people can arrange for family or friends to send money through commercial channels with the help of a collect phone call.  Western Union and MoneyGram offer the widest coverage money transfer service in the Netherlands.

Western Union:
U.S.: 1-800-325-6000
The Netherlands: 0800-736-3666

U.S.: 1-800-666-3947
The Netherlands: 0800-023-3800

Transfers from the U.S. are usually available within one hour.