Death of a U.S. Citizen

When a United States citizen passes away overseas:

We provide assistance to the family of a deceased U.S. Citizen.
In the event of the death of a U.S. citizen in the Netherlands, please contact this office immediately:

A Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad can be applied for, free of charge, and can be used to settle estate and other matters in the United States. It is a mandatory requirement of the Department of State.

The following documents and notification are required for the completion of a Report of Death of a United States Citizen Abroad:

  • The most recent U.S. passport.
  • Original Dutch death certificate Overlijdensakte, (Dutch and/or international version, obtainable from the City Hall/Gemeentehuis).  Note that a photo copy is not acceptable. We must receive an original death certificate, issued by the Dutch City Hall.
  • If born outside the United States, as applicable:- The original Certificate of Naturalization, or

    – The original Certificate of Citizenship, or

    – The original Consular Report of Birth Abroad

  • The following form duly completed: Click here to open the Report of Death notification form (fillable Word document, 46Kb)

Notification and documents can be mailed to:

U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – CRODA
John Adams Park 1
The Netherlands

We recommend that the documents are mailed to us by registered mail, with a tracking code. The U.S. Consulate is not responsible for the loss of documents by PostNL.

Repatriation of remains to the United States

CDC requirements for importing human remains depend upon if the body has been embalmed, cremated, or if the person died from a quarantinable communicable disease.

At this time, COVID-19 is a quarantinable communicable disease in the United States and the remains must meet the standards for importation found in 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 71.55 and may be cleared, released, and authorized for entry into the United States only under the following conditions:

  • The remains are cremated; OR
  • The remains are properly embalmed and placed in a hermetically sealed casket; OR
  • The remains are accompanied by a permit issued by the CDC Director. The CDC permit (if applicable) must accompany the human remains at all times during shipment.
    • Permits for the importation of the remains of a person known or suspected to have died from a quarantinable communicable disease may be obtained through the CDC Division of Global Migration and Quarantine by calling the CDC Emergency Operations Center at 770-488-7100 or emailing

Please see CDC’s guidance for additional information.

For additional information please see: