When a United States citizen passes away overseas:
We provide assistance to the family of a deceased U.S. Citizen.
In the event of the death of a U.S. citizen in the Netherlands, please contact this office immediately:
A Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad can be applied for, free of charge, and can be used to settle estate and other matters in the United States. It is a mandatory requirement of the Department of State.
The following documents and notification are required for the completion of a Report of Death of a United States Citizen Abroad:
- The most recent U.S. passport.
- Original Dutch death certificate Overlijdensakte, (Dutch and/or international version, obtainable from the City Hall/Gemeentehuis). Note that a photo copy is not acceptable. We must receive an original death certificate, issued by the Dutch City Hall.
- If born outside the United States, as applicable:
– The original Certificate of Naturalization, or
– The original Certificate of Citizenship, or
– The original Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- The following form duly completed: Click here to open the Report of Death notification form (fillable Word document, 46Kb)
Notification and documents can be mailed to:
U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – CRODA
John Adams Park 1
2244 BZ WASSENAAR
For additional information please see: