Citizenship Services

The U.S. Consulate General’s main purpose is to assist U.S. Citizens overseas.

Becoming a U.S. Citizen
U.S. Citizens acquire citizenship by:

  • birth in the United States (jus soli),
  • birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent (jus sanguinis),
  • through the naturalization process,

To become a U.S. citizen, specific legal requirements must be met. We can provide certification of U.S. citizenship for eligible individuals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents.

Losing your U.S. Citizenship
The Consulate General in Amsterdam also processes Certificates of Loss of Nationality for U.S. citizens who wish to renounce their U.S. citizenship or believe they have expatriated themselves.

The U.S. Consulate General accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth (CRBA) for children born in the Netherlands to U.S. citizens. Processing time is approximately 7-10 working days. The passport application is simultaneous to this process.

The Consulate General can also accept applications for a CRBA for children born outside the Netherlands if child and parent(s) are currently residing in the Netherlands. As these applications must be forwarded to the Consulate or Embassy in the country of birth, processing time may take longer.

Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad can’t be expedited. If you wish to travel, we recommend you do not make definitive travel plans until you have received your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport.

Click here to learn how to prepare for filing for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child.

A comprehensive overview on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be found on the State Department’s travel website.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 is an amendment of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act that provides alternative ways by which children of U.S. citizens may become U.S. citizens when their parents are unable to transmit citizenship.

If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents and believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this guidance on how to apply for a passport.

If you have a citizenship document and wish to apply for a passport

Dual nationality is the simultaneous possession of two citizenships.

While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on a dual-national U.S. citizen may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. It is generally considered that while dual nationals are in the country of which they are citizens that country has a predominant claim on them.

The acquisition of a second nationality does not eliminate or remove any of the rights or obligations a U.S. citizen has toward the United States. Along with the rights and privileges, citizenship come certain responsibilities. For example:

  • U.S. citizens who also hold another country’s passport must enter and depart from the United States on their valid U.S. passport. They can’t acquire ESTA, may not get a U.S. visa, and can’t travel on their other country’s passport.
  • U.S. citizens must report world-wide income by filing an annual U.S. income tax return, regardless of where else they live and pay taxes. For more information see
  • A male U.S. citizen must register with the U.S. Selective Service System within three months of his 18th birthday. For more information see our section on Selective Service.

Please also read the information on the State Department’s travel website on dual nationality.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship

For information on renouncing U.S. citizenship, see above.