Claiming citizenship after age 18 – born outside the United States

Persons born abroad to a U.S. parent or parents may have acquired citizenship at birth.  This determination is based upon a variety of facts; the law in place at the time of birth, the amount of time the U.S. citizen parent(s) lived in the U.S. prior to the birth of the child, and, in some cases, the marital status of the biological parents.

U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), before their child’s 18th birthday.

If you were born outside the United States, have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen and are:

under the age of 18: please see our instructions for obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad;

over the age of 18: Your U.S. citizen parent must be listed on your birth certificate. You should review the information concerning transmission requirements (PDF 162KB) to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at that time.  If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please follow the instructions provided below.  In due time you must apply for your first U.S. passport in person, by appointment.

Travel with your U.S. passport
Once you have received a U.S. passport, by law you must enter and exit the United States on a valid U.S. passport at all times.  This applies even if you also hold a passport of a country that would otherwise make you qualified for visa-free travel to the United States.

Step 1 – Download the Checklist and start preparing your application (PDF file 179 KB).

Step 2 – Send your assembled DS-5507 and DS-11 forms (see checklist), with their supporting photo copy documents to:

U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services – CRBA over 18
John Adams Park 1

Step 3 – We will send you an e-mail within four weeks of receipt of your documents.  If all appears in order, we will e-mail you on how to set up your appointment.  If there are shortcomings, we will address these first.


You may bring up to four family members to one appointment.

We can only accept payments in euro, dollars and by credit card.  Pin payments cannot be processed.  See our consular fees page.

Try to be at the Consulate in Amsterdam at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot, or if you come unprepared we must ask you to reschedule.

Please read our entry instructions.