Birth Abroad-Register your child as a U.S. citizen

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Read this entire page before you start following the steps.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.  If you are over 18 years of age and born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, please click here for further guidance on how to apply for a passport.

Applications for a CRBA cannot be expedited.  If you need to travel it is recommended you do not make definitive travel plans until you have received your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport.

Eligibility Requirements
To apply, your child must have been born in the Netherlands and you must travel to the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam for the in-person interview.

To apply for a CRBA online, you MUST meet all the following criteria:

  • The child was born in the Netherlands
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • At least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born
  • You did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology to have your child
  • You can use a credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar-denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application
  • You are a biological parent of the child for whom you are applying for a CRBA

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029). You may send this in with your DS-11 Passport Application form, see further down this page.

To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video ( to learn more about creating your account.

Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist.

Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. However, at this time you cannot schedule an appointment yourself.  Instead you are to mail in an appointment request, as per item # 6 below.  Upon receipt of this request the U.S. Consulate General will schedule the appointment for you.  We strive to contact you for an appointment within five weeks of receiving your appointment request.  We will always offer you the first available appointment slot but this may be some time ahead. Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Consulate.

Use this checklist to prepare your documents for presentation at your interview appointment.

  • Fill out Passport Application Form DS-11, on behalf of your child.  Print it on two sheets of paper leaving the reverse page blank.  Print only the actual form (pages 5 and 6), not the instructions.  Do NOT sign the form.
  • A photo for a U.S. passport must be 2″x2″ (5×5 centimeters) in size. Background must be white, and the applicant must look straight into the camera as per our passport photo guidance. No eyeglasses should be worn. Eyes should be open. We realize with infants this can be difficult so do the best you can. When holding a baby’s head make sure your hand is not showing.
    Attach your child’s photo to the DS-11 form, using glue or staples, or indicate you will bring the photo to your appointment in due time.
  • Make clearly legible photocopies of your child’s Dutch birth certificate, and both parents’ passports’ biographical information pages.
  • If only one parent will appear: A statement of consent to the issuance of a passport is required.  The non-appearing parent must prepare Form DS-3053(PDF 52 KB), sign it in front of a notary and attach a copy of the identity document presented to the notary.  Enclose the original consent with your CRBA package.
  • Social Security Number, item 5 on the DS-11 form: All passport applications must either list a U.S. Social Security Number, or an explanation of why no SSN can be listed, e.g., if you are applying for a newborn.  For a first passport download, prepare and sign the following Social Security Number declaration (PDF file 166 KB).  On form DS-11, item no. 5, write the word ‘NONE’.

Once you have completed your eCRBA application through MyTravelGov you will be led to an appointment site. However, at this point you cannot make your own appointment. Instead you are to mail your paperwork to the Consulate General in Amsterdam and upon receipt we will propose a date and time for your formal application.

Download your request for an appointment (PDF 85 KB), sign and date it, put it on top of your package, then mail it with:

  • Form DS-11, and it’s photocopies, and 2×2″ passport photo attached, to:

U.S. Consulate General
U.S. Citizen Services CRBA
John Adams Park 1

At this point the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam will set up the appointment for you and send you an e-mail with a suggested date and time within five weeks upon receipt of your paperwork.

  • Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.
  • Payment for the first U.S. passport must be made at the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam by credit card or U.S. debit card –
  • Your child’s CRBA and passport will be mailed to you when they have been printed. Please bring a large envelope, approx. 25 x 33 centimeters, with either 5 PostNL ‘1’ stamps and your child’s name and address, or a DHL label. This you must order online at: When prompted select “Mailbox Parcel”, enter your personal information as the recipient. Check the option “E-mail Notification”.  When asked about the sender, enter your child’s name but the following address: John Adams Park 1, 2244 BZ  Wassenaar. Use your own e-mail address as sender and receiver to receive all correspondence regarding your shipment.
  • Social Security Number: Upon receipt of the CRBA and passport you will need to apply for a social security number for your child.  For information on how to apply for a social security number you must contact the Social Security Administration.
  • Processing time from your application appointment to delivery of the CRBA and passport may take from 5 to 6 weeks.
    Try to be at the Consulate in Amsterdam at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot, or if you come unprepared we must ask you to reschedule.Please read our entry instructions.

Need Help?

We are here to help!

Other Important Information

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see: Social Security.

Try to be at the Consulate in Amsterdam at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you miss your slot, or if you come unprepared we must ask you to reschedule.

Please read our entry instructions.