U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
September 8, 2017
U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam informs U.S. citizens to a demonstration march taking place in Amsterdam on September 9, 2017, focused on Turkey. The march is expected to begin near Waterlooplein at 3 p.m. and finish on the Museumplein at 6 p.m. in the vicinity of the U.S. Consulate General.
Even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and we recommend avoiding areas of demonstrations and exercising caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. The Dutch National Police will be present to ensure public safety.
General security information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.