U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
July 17, 2016
The 100th Nijmegen Vierdaagse walking event will take place in Nijmegen and surrounding areas between July 17 and 22, 2016. Given recent terrorist events in Europe and a threat received by the Dutch police and published in Dutch media on Saturday, July 16, 2016, the US Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the ability to provide security at outdoor festivals and other events held in nontraditional venues may vary considerably. When attending events where large crowds gather, please be aware of the increased risk to your safety.
Be aware of your local security situation and take appropriate steps to bolster your personal security. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings and monitor media and local information sources for updates. Factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Address specific safety concerns to Dutch law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to the Netherlands.
Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue to plot possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks. However, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. See the Europe Travel Alert for more information.
General security information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.