U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
July 27, 2017
U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam notifies all U.S. citizens Amsterdam Pride 2017 will take place July 29 through August 6, with hundreds of events, including the opening July 29 Pride Walk and August 5 Canal Parade. The latter event attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. For more information about Pride activities, visit https://pride.amsterdam.
Anyone visiting the city during the large-scale Pride events should expect traffic delays due to select road closures and detours. Hotels and hostels may be booked to capacity and public transportation may be affected.
We expect these events to be peaceful; however, visitors to Amsterdam are reminded to exercise an appropriate level of security and situational awareness and be especially vigilant if attending parties and venues related to this event. Previous celebrations have been very crowded and, at times, have drawn an increase in public disorder and pickpocketing. Dutch National police will be on hand to ensure public safety.
General security information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enrol in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.