U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam, Netherlands (September 02, 2018)
Location: The Netherlands (Country Wide)
Event: On Friday, August 31, an assailant attacked two U.S. citizens with a knife at Amsterdam Centraal Station. The Dutch authorities were very quick to respond, using force to end the attack and taking the suspect into police custody. Dutch authorities have announced that investigations are focused on a terrorist motive for this attack. The Dutch Government has not raised its assessment of the threat level at this time.
For additional information on safety and security concerns in The Netherlands, please read our Country Information page and Travel Advisory. We will update the U.S. citizen community if any changes to the general security environment occur.
Actions to Take:
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Monitor local media for updates.
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.