Location: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hague, the Netherlands.
Event: Many operators of trains and regional public transport (buses, metro, and trams) in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hague, Netherlands, have announced they will be on strike for 24 hours on Tuesday, May 28, 2019.
Due to the lack of transportation options for staff and customers, the U.S. Consulate will offer only reduced services on Tuesday, May 28. The Consulate General will be open to the public on Tuesday, May 28, for U.S. Citizen Services only, including all emergency services and a limited number of appointments. U.S. Citizens in need of emergency assistance can visit the Consulate General during regular business hours (8:00 am to 4:00 pm).
Additional information regarding the transportation strike may be found at the link below: https://nltimes.nl/2019/05/20/nearly-public-transit-shut-may-28-labour-supports
Please note the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam will be closed on Monday, May 27, in observance of the U.S. Memorial Day holiday. In case of an emergency involving the death or hospitalization of a U.S. Citizen, please call +31 70 310-2209.
Actions to Take:
- Heed instructions and view updates from Dutch police and transit authorities: https://www.politie.nl/ and https://www.9292.nl/en
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.