U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam, Netherlands
(November 21, 2018)
Location: The Netherlands
Event: The U.S. Mission to the Netherlands reminds all U.S. Citizens to practice sound, common-sense safety and security measures as we enjoy this holiday season.
The holiday season and darkness of winter create opportunities for would-be burglars and thieves. Please follow good security practices at home and while traveling. As a general reminder, if you need immediate Dutch medical or police support, dial 1-1-2 first, and the non-emergency number for the Dutch National Police is 0900-8844.
Please be aware that–as in the United States–the Dutch police increase their enforcement of drinking and driving regulations during the holiday season and we encourage all U.S. Citizens resident or visiting the Netherlands to drive responsibly and have a designated driver or other means of transportation if you plan to consume alcohol.
The U.S. Mission to the Netherlands wishes you a safe and enjoyable holiday season!
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Carry proper identification at all times, including a U.S. passport.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Heed instructions and view updates from Dutch police and government authorities. https://www.politie.nl/
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.