March 6, 2020 –
Location: Netherlands, Countrywide
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 90,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 6, Dutch Ministry of Health announced 128 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Netherlands.
On February 28, 2020 the Dutch Ministry of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) released an advisory regarding the potential for COVID-19 in the Netherlands. The language of the advisory, is available on the RIVM’s website.
The government of the Netherlands has not yet implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 but could do so in the future. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Dutch Government for additional information on these new measures.
RIVM maintains a webpage with detailed information about COVID-19 planning in the Netherlands. This includes a list of affected areas, actions to take if exhibiting symptoms, as well as links to frequently asked questions.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid travel to areas where the CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice and reconsider travel to areas where there has been a widespread, ongoing outbreak of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Netherlands.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.