April 4, 2020 –
Location: The Netherlands
Event: Important Information for Overseas Voters during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation, regular diplomatic postal service is operational but significantly reduced. Ballots submitted to the U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam Ballot Box will be mailed only twice weekly.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is tracking the impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on active duty military, their eligible family members, and U.S. citizens abroad and recommending ways to avoid any postal issues that may result from changes made by international postal operators.
In its role under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), FVAP is working closely with partners at the United States Postal Service (USPS), the U.S. Department of State (DoS), and within the Department of Defense (DoD) as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves to provide assistance for voters experiencing international mail disruptions, shifting election dates, and other potential effects on the 2020 election cycle related to COVID-19.
FVAP encourages our overseas military, families and overseas citizens to take these individual actions to help overcome any potential disruptions to host country mail operations:
- Register and request your ballot through FVAP.gov: Use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) at gov/FPCA to simultaneously register and request an absentee ballot.
- Consider asking that your ballot be sent to you electronically: Voters in countries currently experiencing, or likely to experience, mail disruptions should select an electronic option for receiving their blank ballot from their election official.
- Consider state ballot submission alternatives:Refer to your state’s instructions on FVAP.gov for available options for returning your voted ballot. Most states allow voters to submit ballots online.
For the latest alerts on international mail service, voters and election officials should refer to the USPS alerts found here: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm
For the latest alerts on domestic mail service, voters and election officials should refer to the USPS alerts found here: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/
FVAP will post the latest information on the COVID-19 response for voters and election officials here: FVAP.gov/COVID-19. FVAP will also continue to work with its federal partners, and with state election officials to confirm and report changes to election dates and deadlines, and any other information impacting the UOCAVA voting process.
FVAP remains committed to assisting voters and election officials. Our call center remains open Monday – Friday, 7:30AM – 4:00PM EDT and can be reached by calling 1-800-438-8683 or by email at email@example.com.
For more information about the Federal Voting Assistance Program or assistance with absentee voting, go to FVAP.gov, call 703-588-1584 (toll free 1-800-438-VOTE or DSN 425-1584) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
U.S. Consulate Operations: Effective March 17, 2020 the U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information or contact us via email at AmsterdamUSC@state.gov or call +(31) (0) 70 310 2209.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Netherlands.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Call a general practitioner or the Dutch Ministry of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM)at 0800-1351 for guidance if you have flu-like symptoms.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
1071 DJ Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Netherlands Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter