U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
September 16, 2016
The U.S. Consulate Amsterdam would like inform U.S. citizens of the impact on traffic for Prinsjeddag.
Prinsjesdag, Tuesday, September 20, includes a procession, the King’s speech from the throne in the Ridderzaal and a presentation from the Balcony at Noordeinde Palace. The event will begin with the King and Queen, accompanied by other members of the Royal House, leaving Noordeinde Palace in a Glass Carriage escorted by court dignitaries and a substantial military escort. The party will make its way to the Binnenhof, passing by the Chancery. The official event begins at 13:00 and will last until approximately 14:30.
The route of the Glass Coach will be fenced off from 12:45 – 14:30. The Glass Coach procession will take the following route:
On September 20, traffic will be congested, with a number of roads partially closed to vehicles. There will also be a parking ban on the Lange Voorhout and on most streets in the vicinity of the Binnenhof.
Specifically, be aware of the following road closures:
- Friday, September 16: Traffic will be redirected along the side streets of the Lange Voorhout while the grandstands are being constructed.
- Saturday, September 17: The Lange Voorhout will be closed from 06.00 to 18.00 hrs. for a practice exercise.
- On Sunday, September 18: Traffic will be stopped intermittently between 06.00 and 12.00 hrs. during the final run-through with the Glass Carriage. Traffic will be blocked sometime after noon.
- On Tuesday, September 20: (Prinsjesdag) A number of streets in the downtown area will be closed between 10.00 and 16.00 hrs. The Korte Voorhout will remain closed after 16.00 hrs. and on Wednesday and Thursday (September 21-22) for work on the parking garage
General security information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.