Access to U.S. Government buildings is governed by very strict security regulations. This is not only to protect our staff but also you, our customer, our guest.
It is advisable to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your actual appointment time.
All services are available by appointment only, notary services excepted.
Also take note of the Dutch and American holidays before planning your visit.
To facilitate your entry into the Consulate General in Amsterdam, please adhere to the following rules:
Prohibited Items – Do not bring:
- Laptop, tablet, i-pad, or any other such electronic device.
- Weapons, or objects that can be used as weapons.
- Luggage, including large bags.
- Anything unlawful according to U.S. and/or Dutch law
- Large amounts of cash.
- Please note all payments can be made by credit card (not PIN). If you can only pay cash please do not bring more cash than required.
- Pets or animals. Only service animals are allowed.
- Skate boards or similar wheeled devices.
- Helmets or other face obscuring clothing.
- Do not take photographs or make recordings of any kind.
- Do not use your phone at the window (unless authorized to do so by a consular employee).
- For any U.S. citizen service or notary service: please line up at window 1, the cashier window.
- Non-immigrant visa applicants: Remain in the large waiting room. You will be helped in turn at windows 2, 3, and 4.
- Immigrant visa applicants: our guards will give you directions on where to go. You may then take a seat and wait for your name to be called.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in the forfeiture of your appointment. For reasons of security, we retain the right to amend this policy at any time and/or prohibit the introduction of electronic devices in individual cases. The consulate is unable to store items.
Consulate personnel is not responsible for anything you bring with you, be it cash, documents, personal belongings, or equipment.
- bring valid government issued photo identification as this is mandatory for everyone entering the building.
- bring your appointment confirmation print out. If you forgot to print this, tell the guards right away so they can check our entry list.
- bring the correct format passport photo (5×5 Cm). Or you may need to reschedule.
- bring only what you need for your U.S. Citizen Service, Notary Service or Visa Service.
- bring your wallet and keep it on you when entering our waiting room, as certain fees cannot be paid online and therefore must be paid to the consular cashier.
- bring your phone.
- bring your wheelchair, electronic device for medical reason (with statement from physician), or service animal if you require it. You may also bring someone to assist you if necessary for health reasons, but make sure they bring valid government issued photo identification.
Who can enter the Consulate?
- People with an appointment for a consular service (visa, passport, notary appointment) and witnesses (if required).
- If the applicant does not speak English or Dutch they may bring an interpreter. Please note, we prefer an unrelated third party to conduct the translations. Kindly notify us in advance should you be bringing a translator to the appointment.
- An assistant to a disabled person.