Access to U.S. Government buildings is governed by very strict security regulations. This is not only to protect our staff but also you, our customer, our guest.
It is advisable to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your actual appointment time.
All services are available by appointment only.
Also take note of the Dutch and American holidays before planning your visit.
To facilitate your entry into the Consulate General in Amsterdam, please adhere to the following rules:
Prohibited Items – Do not bring:
- Laptop, tablet, i-pad, or any other such electronic device.
- Weapons, or objects that can be used as weapons.
- Luggage, including large bags.
- Anything unlawful according to U.S. and/or Dutch law
- Large amounts of cash.
- Please note all payments can be made by credit card (not PIN). If you can only pay cash please do not bring more cash than required.
- Pets or animals. Only service animals are allowed.
- Skate boards or similar wheeled devices.
- Do not take photographs or make recordings of any kind.
- Do not use your phone at the window. Unless authorized to do so by a consular employee, the use of an electronic device at the consular window is not permitted.
- For any U.S. citizen service or notary service: please line up at window 5 until you have been assisted by a staff member
- Visa applicants: Remain in the large waiting room and wait for your number to be called to windows one or two
- For Immigrant Visa applicants: our guards will give you directions on where to go. You may then take a seat and wait for your name to be called
Failure to comply with these rules may result in the forfeiture of your appointment. For reasons of security, we retain the right to amend this policy at any time and/or prohibit the introduction of electronic devices in individual cases. The consulate is unable to store items.
Consulate personnel is not responsible for anything you bring with you, be it cash, documents, personal belongings, or equipment.
- bring valid government issued identification as this is mandatory for everyone entering the building.
- bring your appointment confirmation print out. If you forgot to print this, tell the guards right away so they can check our entry list.
- bring the correct format passport photo. Or you may need to reschedule.
- bring only what you need for your U.S. Citizen Service, Notary Service or Visa Service.
- bring your wallet and keep it on when entering our waiting room you as you will be asked to pay for your service.
- bring your phone, but turn your Bluetooth completely off using the settings app on your phone.
- bring your wheelchair, electronic device for medical reason (with statement from physician) or service animal if you require it. You may also bring someone to assist you if necessary for health reasons, but make sure they are listed on the appointment and bring valid government issued identification.
Who can enter the Consulate?
- People with an appointment for a consular service (visa, passport, notary appointment) and witnesses (if required). Please note all those participating in the service must be listed on the appointment.
- If the applicant does not speak English or Dutch they may bring an interpreter. Please note, we prefer an unrelated third party to conduct the translations. Kindly notify us in advance should you be bringing a translator to the appointment.
- One assistant to a disabled person.