U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
October 7, 2016
The U.S. Consulate General informs U.S. citizens that local law enforcement authorities report PEGIDA Netherlands (Dutch branch of the German movement PEGIDA, translated as “Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamization of the West”) plans to demonstrate on Sunday, October 9th, from 1:30pm to 4:30pm. The police estimate one to two hundred demonstrators will gather on the Koekamp (located between Central Station and Malieveld). Police also expect a counter-demonstration but have no further details regarding the group at this time.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful, however, can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little warning. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
General Security Information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
The sending e-mail address is not monitored. To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.