Police have informed Consulate Amsterdam of the following demonstrations this Saturday, 12 November 2016.
The first demonstration will be held in front of the I Amsterdam sign located in front of the Rijksmuseum. The demonstration is for the “removal of the President of South Korea.” This demonstration is scheduled to take place on Saturday the 12th of November at 1400 hours and continue until 1600 hours. Police estimate approximately 100-200 participants. Citizens of South Korea are sponsoring this demonstration.
The second demonstration will begin at the Dam Square. The demonstration is against the Turkish Government’s imprisonment of Kurds. Demonstrators will form up at Dam Square and march to the Museumplein and stage in front of the new Turkish Consulate (located next to the U.S. Consulate General). This demonstration is scheduled to take place on Saturday 12th of November 2016 at 1300 hours and continue until 1700 hours. Number of participants for this demonstration is unknown at this time. The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) is the sponsor of this demonstration.
Neither demonstration is directed towards U.S. interests. Police will be present for the demonstrations.
General Security Information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.