U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
Demonstration in Amsterdam, April 8-9
April 7, 2017
The U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam informs U.S. citizens of demonstrations scheduled to take place at the Museumplein (by the “IAmsterdam” sign) on Saturday, April 8, and Sunday, April 9, 2017, from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
The stated purpose of the demonstrations is to bring attention to the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Europe Travel Alert, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 to 16:30 Mondaythrough Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209. USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov
- Call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 to 20:00 Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.