Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam, The Netherlands (August 5, 2019)
Location: Announced gathering points and route include, but are not limited to, the Museumplein area in front of the U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Event: A demonstration is expected on Wednesday, August 7, 2019, beginning at approximately 4:00 pm and lasting until approximately 5:00 pm. The group will assemble in front of the U.S. Consulate to raise awareness of their pacifist views regarding U.S. nuclear policy. This event is expected to be peaceful.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police are aware and will be in the area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas near the bicycle path in front of the U.S. Consulate during the event.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.