Location: Announced gathering points and route includes, but is not limited to, the inner city of The Hague, the Binnenhof and the Plein (near the Dutch government buildings) in The Hague, Netherlands.
Event: Demonstrations are expected from the “Yellow Vests” group on Saturday, February 2, beginning at approximately 10:00 am and lasting until approximately 7:00 pm, to protest Dutch government laws and restrictions. The group will assemble in The Hague inner city near government buildings.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of The Hague around the Plein that are near Dutch
government buildings during the event.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.