Location: Announced gathering points and routes include, but are not limited to, the Museumplein in the vicinity of the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Event: The U.S. Consulate General has been informed by the Amsterdam Police and Mayor’s office of security preparations for the celebration of the Amsterdam soccer/football club’s championship. The event will occur on Thursday, May 16, 2019, from 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm on the Museumplein in Amsterdam. Officials expect as many as 80,000 participants.
The Consulate General will close to the public at 1:00 pm on Thursday, May 16, due to extensive road closures, parking restrictions, check points, and restricted operations of public transportation. Customers with appointments for consular services scheduled for after 1:00 pm will be contacted to reschedule their appointments. The Consulate will re-open on Friday, May 17, at 8:00 am.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to maintain vigilance if attending any large public event, avoid over indulgence of alcohol, and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gathering. Even celebrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area near the Museumplein in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Heed instructions and view updates from Dutch police and government authorities: https://www.politie.nl/
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.