(August 16, 2020)
Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the Museumplein, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Event: A large impromptu demonstration is expected today, Sunday, August 16, 2020 beginning at approximately 12:00 p.m. and ending at approximately 2:00 p.m. The group will assemble near the Rijksmuseum area on the Museumplein in Amsterdam.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Museumplein area in Amsterdam, including areas near the Rijksmuseum and the U.S. Consulate General building during the event.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Heed instructions and view updates from Dutch police and government authorities: https://www.politie.nl/
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444