Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam,
Netherlands (November 9, 2018)
Location: Announced gathering points and route includes, but is not limited to the Dam Square and the Museumplein (in the vicinity of the U.S. Consulate General) in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Event: Demonstration expected to take place on Saturday, November 10, 2018 beginning at approximately 1:00 pm and lasting until approximately 5:00 pm. A large number of demonstrators are expected from the Netherlands Trade Union Confederation to protest Dutch tax law and a recent hospital closure. The group will assemble at Dam Square and end with a rally at the Museumplein in the vicinity of the U.S. Consulate General.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of Dam Square and the Museumplein during the event.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.