U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam, Netherlands
November 14, 2018
Location: Demonstrations at the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam and the U.S. Embassy in The Hague, the Netherlands.
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on Thursday, November 15, 2018 from 5:00 pm until 6:00 pm at the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam and Friday, November 16, 2018 from 3:30 pm until 5:00 pm at the U.S. Embassy in The Hague. Kurdish Community groups will conduct static demonstrations at the facilities. Some past demonstrations outside U.S. Mission facilities have drawn counter-protestors. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate Regional Security Office staff will monitor the demonstration and provide updates as appropriate.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the U.S. Consulate in Amsterdam on the Museumplein and the areas of the U.S. Embassy in the Hague, including the green space between the fence and bike path.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.