Location: Announced gathering points and route include, but are not limited to the Dam Square to de Munt, Vijzelgracht, Rijksmuseum, and the Museumplein area, in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Event: Demonstrations are expected by the “Women’s March the Netherlands” group on Saturday, March 9, 2019, beginning at approximately 12:00 and lasting until approximately 15:30. The group will assemble in the Dam Square in Amsterdam and arrive at the Museumplein to raise awareness for women’s rights.
Demonstrations are also expected by the “Milieudefensie (translated as Environment Defense)” group on Sunday, March 10, 2019, beginning at approximately 13:00 and lasting until approximately 17:00. The group will assemble in the Dam Square in Amsterdam and arrive at the Museumplein to raise awareness about climate change.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the Dam Square to de Munt, Vijzelgracht, Rijksmuseum,
and arriving at Museumplein during the event.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.