Location: Announced gathering points and route includes, but is not limited to, The Hague city center and Malieveld area, in The Hague, Netherlands.
Event: Demonstrations are expected from the “Yellow Vests” group on Sunday, February 24, 2019, beginning at approximately 1:00 pm and lasting until approximately 8:00 pm. The group will assemble in various areas throughout The Hague city center near Dutch government buildings to protest to Dutch government laws and restrictions. Additionally, a group associated with a Dutch sports team will demonstrate at the Koekamp next to the Malieveld from 12:15 to 14:00.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of The Hague city center near Dutch
government buildings and the Malieveld area during the event.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Consulate General Amsterdam
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Netherlands Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.