The United States’ partnership with the Netherlands is its oldest continuous relationship and dates back to the American Revolution.
The Netherlands is a geographically small (approximately the size of the state of Maryland), densely populated (17 million people) country occupying a highly strategic commercial location, with Europe’s largest port, making it the “Gateway to Europe”.
- Over 170 million consumers (roughly one third of the population of the expanded European Union of 28 Member States) reside within a 300-mile radius of Rotterdam.
- More than sixty percent of the Netherlands’ GDP is generated by foreign trade in goods and services.
- The Netherlands is a key center within the global business network with an advanced infrastructure geared towards the transportation of goods, people, and electronic data.
- Its core distribution points include Rotterdam, Europe’s largest port, and Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the fourth largest in Europe.
- The Netherlands has capitalized on its location and advanced economy to become one of the top dozen trading countries in the world.
- The Netherlands is the sixteenth largest economy in the world and the fifth largest in the European Monetary Union (the Eurozone), with a gross domestic product (GDP) of nearly $800 billion.
- The United States is the largest foreign investor in the Netherlands and has its largest bilateral trade surplus in the world with this country ($24 billion in 2015).
Various international surveys rank the Netherlands among the countries in the industrialized world with the most competitive economies and most favorable business and investment climates.
- Contact your local U.S. Export Assistance Center for advice and support on exporting to the Netherlands.
- Access the U.S Commercial Service Market Research Library containing more than 100,000 industry and country-specific market reports, authored by our specialists working in overseas posts.
- Find out more about the services offered by the U.S. Commercial Service in the Netherlands on the Export.gov the Netherlands webpage.
- Contact the U.S. Commercial Service the Netherlands by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.