Subject: Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General, Amsterdam, Netherlands (October 29, 2019)
Location: Malieveld, The Hague
Event: Demonstrations are scheduled to take place on Wednesday, October 30, beginning at 6:00 am and ending at approximately 3:00 pm, in The Hague. A construction industry group is protesting Dutch government nitrogen emissions policies.
The group has requested permission to place up to 1000 construction items (cranes, concrete mixers, building materials, etc.) on the Malieveld overnight on Tuesday, October 29 to be in place for the protest on Wednesday, October 30. Police expect a high turnout, which may impact public transportation and cause traffic delays. Note that even demonstrations expected to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The Dutch police will be present to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Heed instructions and view updates from Dutch police and government authorities: https://www.politie.nl/
+(31) (0) 70 310 2209
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444